Chip is a hospitality veteran and he’s been serving the industry for more than 30 years. He’s done it all. From Dish Washer, to Front Desk Agent, Assistant General Manager, General Manager, Sales Manager, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Development Officer, and Vice President.
For the last half of the career, Chip faithfully served as Vice President and COO for America’s Best Franchising as the brand grew from just a few properties to a portfolio of nearly 300. In this role, Chip was responsible for the Company’s portfolio of brands, including Jameson Inns, America’s Best Inns, Country Hearth Inns, Budgetel Inns and 3 Palms Hotels and Resorts. He oversaw the development and implementation of operational programs and requirements and directed the Quality Assurance and Field Support programs, which included brand standards, brand compliance, property inspections, franchise administration and owner / franchisee relations.
In This Episode, Chip Talks About:
- His career journey and how his “can do” attitude lead to great success in the hospitality industry. You don’t have to own a hotel or be the CEO to make an real impact.
- How he moved from the back of the house to the front of the house; how he landed his first management position, and how he turned an underperforming asset around.
- Building great teams and loyalty, not merely hiring staff, and empowering them to realize their full potential.
- The acquisition process, and he shares his personal experience as an executive acquiring brands, and what it was like when ABF was acquired by Vantage last year.
Resources & Links
- Email: chip.elbers[at]yahoo.com
- Chip on LinkedIn
- Chip on Twitter
- Chip on Facebook
- Mobile: (404) 202-8377
- Mike Leven – Hotel Industry Icon … need I say more?
- Eric A. Danziger – Chief Executive Officer of Trump Hotel Collection
- Greg Plank – President at Genesis Creative Solutions; Author
Chip’s Recommended Books
- Grinding It Out: The Making Of McDonald’s – by Ray Kroc
- Half Luck and Half Brains: The Kemmons Wilson, Holiday Inn Story – by Kemmons Wilson and Robert Kerr
- Day by Day: The Story of Cecil B. Day and His Simple Formula for Success – by Cecil Burke, Jr.
- Saving The Hotel St. George – by Greg Plank
- Black Dog Redemption: Faith over Fear – by Greg Plank
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. If you have some feedback you’d like to share, leave a note in the comment section below!If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post. Also, please leave an honest review for The Lodging Leaders Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They really do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And if you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s FREE. All it means is that you’ll automatically be notified when the next episode is released. There are options for subscribing on Apple and Android devices!
Until the next …