Greg Plank’s diverse hospitality career spans more than 50 years, beginning as a receiving clerk at the Barclay Hotel in Philadelphia. He graduated from Cornell University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Hotel Administration. He worked in advertising for hotel clients in New York in account management and some creative work. Greg moved to Boston to work with: Sheraton Corporation as Manager of Food and Beverage Marketing and Director of Marketing for Sheraton’s Franchise Division.
His career has included: General Manager of a full service hotel, Vice President of Operations and Development for Sheraton Inns, Inc. and Hawthorn Suites, Vice President of Marketing for Ramada, and Executive Vice President-Franchise for Forte Hotels North America, and President of Forte Hotels-South America. Greg recently served as President of Country Hearth Inns and Suburban Lodges of America. He is presently President of Genesis Creative Solutions a marketing, service, and lodging consulting firm.
Greg is the author of two books:
- Saving The Hotel St. George, a novel based on events he has observed in his 50 year hotel career…truth is stranger than fiction when dealing with people on the road.
- Black Dog Redemption: Faith over Fear, an action novel dedicated to our military, law enforcement and the greatest companion of all…dogs.
In This Episode, Greg Talks About:
- How he got his start in the industry, and his love for the game that helped him thrive for more than 50 years.
- Listening, and finding the right mentors.
- His appreciation for the history of the hotel industry, and talks about some of the early entrepreneurs and institutions he admires.
- The evolution of the brands and shares some amazing stats over the growth in the last 25 years.
- Some of the valleys hoteliers faced over the years, and some of the things the leaders did to overcome them.
- His essentials for success in this business and why.
- Human behavior traits, hiring the people and effective leadership.
- The story behind the two books he authored, Saving The Hotel St. George and Black Dog Redemption: Faith over Fear.
Resources & Links
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. If you have some feedback you’d like to share, leave a note in the comment section below!If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post. Also, please leave an honest review for The Lodging Leaders Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They really do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And if you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s FREE. All it means is that you’ll automatically be notified when the next episode is released. There are options for subscribing on Apple and Android devices!
Until the next …