Sterling Stoudenmire is versatile executive proven in uniquely challenging situations involving transformation, turnaround, re-engineering and disruption. A successful, top-tier consultant and chief executive, he delivers value through the synthesis of a unique and distinct skillset in finance, strategy and technology combined with innate ability to lead, inspire and mentor others.
Sterling’s diverse career includes business consulting with Arthur Andersen and Accenture, Vice President of Research & Development for the Orange Lake Country Club, Senior Vice President and Chief Executive Officer of Island One Resorts, Managing Partner of Sterling Leisure Asset Management, Operating Partner of Van Dyke Holdings, and President & CEO of America’s Best Franchising Inc.
In this episode, Sterling reveals some of the critical success factors he has identified in business over the course of his career, including:
- Do the Right THING, then Do the Thing Right
- To lead the people, walk behind them
- Innovation starts with the customer…see the world from their perspective, then let the products flow from their needs, both explicit and implicit
- Always look for 1.01 when hiring, .99 is a long slow path to mediocrity
- Set goals, provide resources, remove obstacles…people will amaze you with their ingenuity, perseverance, and commitment once you set them on the path with the tools they need to succeed
- Share the view out of the front of the bus with the entire team, as well as the results of the journey so far, on a regular basis
- The key ingredients for a happy, productive, and committed workforce: Autonomy, A sense of purpose, the opportunity to grow and learn
- The key components of any business are People, Process & Technology [in that order].
Resources & Links
- Email: sterling[at]vandykeholdings.com
- Sterling on LinkedIn
- SPIN Selling – by Neil Rackham
- The Wisdom of Crowds – by James Surowiecki
- The Innovator’s Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book That Will Change the Way You Do Business – by Clayton M. Christensen
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. If you have some feedback you’d like to share, leave a note in the comment section below!If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post. Also, please leave an honest review for The Lodging Leaders Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They really do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And if you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s FREE. All it means is that you’ll automatically be notified when the next episode is released. There are options for subscribing on Apple and Android devices!
Until the next …