Hemant “Henry” Patel CHO CHA was born and raised in India, and he immigrated to the United States in 1986. Within a few short years, he and his wife settled in Miami, Florida, where they invested in their first property – The King Motel – an independent property on Biscayne Blvd. He also has an interest in a franchised property and another one in the pipeline.
Hemant is a very active civic leader and community servant. He served AAHOA for many years, as a regional director, as Chairman in 2011, and on countless committees. He was the first Asian-American to become president of the Greater Biscayne Chamber of Commerce in 1996. In Miami, Hemant has served on many city boards, and he is an active board member of the Upper Eastside Miami Council, a strong and vibrant neighborhood advocacy group. He served as President of “Do the Right Thing,” an association which is part of the Miami Police Department and is designed to encourage leadership and good moral behavior in Dade-County public schools. Along with Mike Patel, Hemant traveled to India with former President Bill Clinton on an earthquake relief mission. In addition, Hemant received a community service award from former Congresswoman Carrie Meek in Miami.
In This Episode, Hemant Reveals:
- How he bought his first property, and some of the challenges he faced as an hotel owner in that part of town.
- The criticism he faced as a hotelier, and a Patel
- How that experience as a hotelier led him to service within his community.
- His mindset, and the differences he’s experienced running an independent property versus a franchised property.
- Why it’s so critical for hotel professionals to get involved politically; to educate yourself on issues and legislation that could affect your businesses at a local, state and federal level.
- His core philosophy of giving back, being of service, and enjoying what you do.
Resources & Links
- Email: hemantking[at]yahoo.com
- Hemant on LinkedIn
- Hemant on Twitter
- Hemant on Facebook
- The King Motel – Miami, FL
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. If you have some feedback you’d like to share, leave a note in the comment section below!If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post. Also, please leave an honest review for The Lodging Leaders Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They really do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And if you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s FREE. All it means is that you’ll automatically be notified when the next episode is released. There are options for subscribing on Apple and Android devices!
Until the next …