Sunil was born in Walsall, England. His family migrated to the United States in the early eighties. They purchased their first 35 room motel in Pulaski TN. Sunil finished high school there, and earned a BS degree in Accounting from Middle Tennessee State University. Through high school and college he helped in the family business learning the basics of the hospitality business. Grooming himself for what may lie in his future.
While attending college he helped his brother develop their second motel in Columbia TN. After finishing his college he and his brother developed and acquired several branded hotels. Today they enjoy a diversified portfolio of branded hotels which they manage themselves through centralized operations. Sunil also started consulting individuals and companies on hotel acquisitions and development.
Sunil is very active in community service. He has served as the President of the Gujarat Cultural Association in Nashville TN. He is currently the ex officio of Leuva Patidar Samaj of USA. He is involved in every hospitality organization local and national. He loves to play soccer and is an avid marathon runner. He resides in Brentwood TN with his wife Manisha, two daughters Reshma and Prishana and his father Bhulabhai.
Sunil is one of three candidates running for the AAHOA Secretary position in the upcoming Board of Directors election. I’m featuring interviews with all three candidates, asking each the same questions, to give the Lodging Leader listeners a sneak peak into where they stand on key issues facing our industry, and an opportunity to see a side of them you might not see elsewhere.
In This Episode, Sunil Talks About:
- His current role on the board, how long he has served, and why AAHOA is important to him.
- Leadership and what he feels makes an effective leader.
- Legislative awareness, how laws at the local, state and federal level can drastically impact our businesses, and his plan to encourage proactive participation by our industry professionals.
- Relationships with franchisors, the need for more balanced franchised agreements, and how he plans to address accountability for the Franchisors.
- The committees he has served on with AAHOA, which one he is most proud of, and why.
- Vendors, the integral part they play in AAHOA’s financial stability, and his plan to strengthen relationships with them.
- The challenges AAHOA has faced over the last couple years that threw the association into the spotlight, and what he did during this time to uncover the truth and make sure that AAHOA was protected.
Resources & Links
- Email: sunil0918[at]gmail.com
- Phone: 615-479-0581
- Sunil on Facebook
- Sunil on LinkedIn
- Elect Sunil Patel Facebook Group
- Asian American Hotel Owners Association (AAHOA)
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. If you have some feedback you’d like to share, leave a note in the comment section below!If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post. Also, please leave an honest review for The Lodging Leaders Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They really do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And if you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s FREE. All it means is that you’ll automatically be notified when the next episode is released. There are options for subscribing on Apple and Android devices!
Until the next …