Jeffrey Goldstein has been working as a franchise attorney in the franchise and distribution niche for over three decades. Jeff and the Goldstein Law Firm, by choice, do not represent franchisors or suppliers; they only represent franchisees and dealers because they believe representing franchisors, especially in the litigation context, is directly harmful to your status and position as a franchisee or dealer.
In This Episode, Jeff Reveals
- The importance of having your franchise agreement reviewed by an attorney before you sign, and why.
- What to do when a hotel franchisee fails a quality assurance inspection (QAI) and why that process is flawed.
- The differences between mediation, arbitration, and litigation, and why some disputes are handled in court and others in arbitration.
- Why the concept of a franchise consultant who ‘mediates’ liquidated damages is usually not in the franchisee’s best interest.
- What happens when you acquire a branded property, and he explains the differences between an “assignment of agreement” and a “then-current” agreement.
- His take on the battle between franchisees and franchisors – whether it has become more equal or equitable for franchisees over the years, and whether organizations like AAHOA and AH&LA have helped in that regard.
Jeff prepared a FREE download exclusively for the Lodging Leaders community. His guide, the Top Ten Worst Provisions in a Franchise Agreement, goes even deeper into some of the concepts we discussed. To get the most out of this episode, download the guide.
If you are in the process of performing your due diligence on a franchise opportunity, you are probably struggling to comprehend the seemingly-unending legalese in the franchise agreement. You owe it to yourself to understand the implications of that agreement, and this interview is a great start at understanding terminology, concepts, and pitfalls that could have a direct impact on your business.
Resources & Links
Episodes referenced in this interview
Jeffrey M. Goldstein
Goldstein Law Firm, PLLC
1629 K St. NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: (202) 293-3947
Fax: (202) 315-2514
- This episode is sponsored by Vertical Booking USA
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. If you have some feedback you’d like to share, leave a note in the comment section below!If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post. Also, please leave an honest review for The Lodging Leaders Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They really do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And if you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s FREE. All it means is that you’ll automatically be notified when the next episode is released. There are options for subscribing on Apple and Android devices!
Until the next …