Dr. Kate Price-Howard has 30 years experience in the fields of hospitality and commercial recreation. Her work experience includes recreation positions on board cruise ships, hotels, summer camps, psychiatric units, nursing homes, and serving as Director of Recreation for several Florida resorts.
In 2001, she founded Go Play, Inc., providing recreation consultation to resort and property management companies, corporate team building, and special events. She has taught more than 600 students that have come through her company as recreation interns.
Kate received a Bachelor’s and Master’s in Parks and Recreation Administration, with an emphasis and certification in Therapeutic Recreation, from Florida International University and went on to complete her PhD in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism from the University of Utah.
In 2013, she accepted a full-time faculty position with Troy University and teaches hospitality students all over the world in an online format. She teaches courses in Hospitality, Restaurant, and Hotel Management, Recreation Programming and Leadership, and Social Psychology of Leisure, Recreation Principles, and Revenue Management, Generation and Human Resources with the Hospitality Industry.
In This Episode, We Talk About
- Commercial recreation – what it is, and why a property might want to add a recreation component to their existing amenities.
- How a property can add a recreation component, even if they are not a destination-type location, and why that might be a good investment.
- The costs, and why some properties choose to outsource versus staffing year round.
- Her experience teaching hospitality 100% online, and how she is able to engage students from all over the world.
- Mentorship – and how her mentor changed the course of her life.
Resources & Links
Go Play Inc.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. If you have some feedback you’d like to share, leave a note in the comment section below!If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post. Also, please leave an honest review for The Lodging Leaders Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They really do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And if you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s FREE. All it means is that you’ll automatically be notified when the next episode is released. There are options for subscribing on Apple and Android devices!
Until the next …