Dr. Rick Garlick is the Global Travel and Hospitality Practice Lead at J.D. Power. He is responsible for providing industry thought leadership to the company’s clients in the hotel, destination, rental car, airline, and cruise line industries, as well as for creating new products and revenue opportunities to grow the practice.
Rick joined J.D. Power in 2013 after nearly 20 years of consumer and employee research experience with two of the most prestigious research companies in North America: The Gallup Organization and Maritz Research.
He has been a trusted advisor to many senior leaders of premier organizations, as well as a nationally recognized thought leader in the area of hospitality and employee engagement research. He has a diverse research and consulting background that includes extensive experience with travel and hospitality research; employee engagement measurement and training; talent selection; brand research; customer satisfaction and loyalty programs; image and awareness studies; and national opinion polling.
Earlier in his career, Rick worked in financial services, utilities, manufacturing, entertainment, media, retail, association, and not-for-profit research. Prior to entering the private sector, he taught courses in research methods, marketing, and persuasive communication at Michigan State University and DePaul University in Chicago.
A frequent conference speaker, Rick has published numerous articles in industry and academic journals. He has also appeared on such national media outlets as MSNBC, CNBC, CNNfn, Bloomberg Television, and National Public Radio, as well as being quoted in a number of national publications.
Currently, Rick serves as chair of the Research Committee for the Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association (HSMAI) Foundation Board. Previously, he served in a similar function for Meeting Professionals International (MPI).
Rick received a Ph.D. in communication studies from Michigan State University.
In This Episode, Rick Reveals:
- The JD Power’s 2017 North American Hotel Study which ranks over 80 brands based on comprehensive ratings by over 60K recent hotel guests.
- How they approached the measurement of guest satisfaction, which brand topped the rankings this year, and you might be surprised at the results.
- Some industry trends they’re seeing, like the rise of mobile, and how it’s impacting the guest experience.
- How some brands are trying to engage in more direct bookings, and whether or not they succeeding.
- How social feedback is becoming more important than ever, and what the study says about social feedback and the need for hotels to respond.
- How YOU can get a copy of J.D. Power’s 2017 North American Hotel Study.
Resources & Links
Dr. Rick Garlick
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. If you have some feedback you’d like to share, leave a note in the comment section below!If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons at the bottom of the post. Also, please leave an honest review for The Lodging Leaders Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They really do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And if you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes. It’s FREE. All it means is that you’ll automatically be notified when the next episode is released. There are options for subscribing on Apple and Android devices!
Until the next …